The other day I was at an Estate Sale with my sister, and in one corner of the room there was a group of ladies talking about a piece of furniture and I overheard one of them say "Well, it doesn't blow my skirt up".
After laughing out loud and then repeating what she said to my sister, I realized that (1) I had never heard that expression before and (2) I wanted to start saying it because I love it!
What Blows Your Skirt Up?
What inspires you and gets you jumping out of the bed in the morning?
For me, there are several things that I am inspired by, things that I want to share with you in hopes that they spark you in one way or another. Welcome to my blog.
1) Antiquing, Junking, Vintage Hunting- Finding that one or several special items really gets me going. Discovering a piece of hardware that will make a new necklace interesting and unique or a dress from the 60's that looks like it would've been worn in Mad Men (obsessed much?) or just the feeling of walking though the fields in Round Top and Warrenton twice a year gives me enough inspiration to make it through until the next shows. #skirtblown
2) Fashion- Vintage To Today, I love the idea of using vintage and second hand clothing in a new and current way. Taking a vintage cotton print skirt and partnering it with a simple tee shirt, and blinging it out with some unique jewelry, some cute sandals........thrills me to no end. Using what we already have is not a new idea, but an idea that needs to be Re-Launched for sure! #skirtblown
3) Movies- I have enjoyed the movies all my life. I love everything about them, starting with he experience of going to the theater and being totally immersed in another world for two hours. Very therapeutic. I have a special reverence for costume design and screenplay, and now since watching movies with my son who is in Radio, Television, Film program at UT he has opened my eyes to screenshots and looking at the movie through the film makers eyes. I should also warn you that the day of the Oscars is sacred in my home, everyone has to be quiet and leave me alone all day. The grandeur, history, the gowns. #skirtblown
4) Books- I read every night before bed, it helps relax my brain and I have no problem going to sleep at night. Normally I am juggling 3-4 books at a time depending on my mood, usually about fashion, decorating or The Classics. Right now I have The Artist Way-Julia Cameron, I'll Drink to That-Betty Halbreich, The Fashion File: Advice, Tips and Inspiration from the Costume Designer of Mad Men-Janie Bryant, and a copy of Breakfast at Tiffanys- Truman Capote #skirt blown
5) Repurposed Jewelry- last but certainly not least. I love creating one of a kind jewelry pieces from pretty old hardware and vintage jewelry. This is the one thing that brings me the most joy and also what I struggle with creatively and personally. Sometimes when I hit the sweetspot of designing its worth the weeks of struggle. #skirtblown
I hope you stop in every now and then and take a look and that you get inspired in some way and even better get your skirt blown up.